All of the mobile home movie mayhem demonstrated the impracticality of trying to transport the newer 40-50 foot rigs with the family car. Mobile home buyers now purchased their house on wheels and had it towed by truck. It was made stationary, often at one of the many mobile home parks around the nation.
Of course, this was inciting the ire of local governments, who bemoaned the tax-free status enjoyed by the typical Trailerite family. Moreover, the real estate industry was lobbying hard to establish local zoning restrictions that would make it illegal to set up a mobile home on a single lot. Simply stated, you would either have to park your mobile home on a postage stamp-sized park lot or else have to buy a house, preferably from a realtor.
Above, we see a circa-1961 advertisement for the Mobel Americana park, in St. Petersburg, Florida. In the mid-20th century, the trailer park was often promoted as a vacation or retirement haven. Several luxurious amenities, such as tennis courts and swimming pools, could be included. Monthly lot rents ran between $20 and $50 per month.
Advert from The St. Petersburg Evening Independent
Here we have an idyllic 1950s view of the Briny Breezes Trailer Park, in Delray Beach, Florida. Back in the day, before prices of American real estate skyrocketed into the financial stratosphere, trailer parks were often established at seaside locations. Nowadays, such property is simply too valuable and expensive to be utilized in such a manner.
Photo from www.vintagetrailercamp.com
Promoted as "America's most luxurious trailer park", the Blue Skies Trailer Village was founded by Bing Crosby in late 1954. Named after the 1946 "Der Bingle" movie and song, the facility was created on 21 acres, southeast of Cathedral City, in the Coachella Valley desert. Although the vintage matchbook cover seen above locates the park in Palm Springs, it is now within the city of Rancho Mirage, which was incorporated in 1973.
Graphic from "Vintage Advertising - Manufactured Homes"
Streets in the two-hundred-and-fifty-unit park were named after Hollywood luminaries who initially invested in its establishment. In addition to the thoroughfares indicated above, there were Danny Kaye Road, Burns & Allen Road, Claudette Colbert Road, Greer Garson Road and Jack Benny Road. By the way, the park still exists, although it is no longer a weekend getaway for movie stars.
Photo from http://palmspringsmobilehomesforsale.com